Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Historian

For some reason, I feel like writing in green today. :-)

I just finished a quick-read book that my mom lent me. The Killing Club. It's a book that one of the ABC Soap characters "wrote." Actually, it wasn't half bad.

I just started reading The Historian though. Holy amazing storyteller batman! This book is probably furthest from something that would interest me...an historical count of Dracula no less...but so interesting! I'm only about 75 pages into it (650ish total) and I'm hooked! I've been hooked since the first page too. The author has this incredible ability to make it seem like she's really telling me a story. I feel like I'm sitting down with her and some Eastern Europe cafe and chatting about cultures and histories brand new to me.

I've never really had a grasp of how some people could get so into historical topics. Over the past couple years though, as I've gotten to be more passionate about global topics, I've really started to understand all that I've missed over the years. The appreciation and importance of what teachers and friends have been trying to say. So now I try to learn at least a little about every new culture I come across. In doing so, I'm learning their history. Having an obvious background in US history, and basically a degree in the histories of Latin America and Spain, it's interesting to me to be able to tie in what was going on elsewhere in the world. Cause and Effect. I don't know. Maybe I'm losing it. :-) Either way, I'm learning a ton. I understand that this book rides the line of fiction vs. non-fiction, but as in The DaVinci Code the historical accounts are there and true. It's the expansion of them that makes the book fictional. It's up to the reader to be responsible enough to know entertainment from fact.

No comments: